Change font size
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:06 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: George and Dragon Garrigill
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:39 pm 
Illustrious Member
Illustrious Member

...Is now all boarded up. Completely shut.

The locals are trying to buy it and run it as a co-operative. This may take some time - might not even work, I suppose.
In the meantime, the next pub is in Alston.

Booo, hisss.... etc....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:12 am 
Illustrious Member
Illustrious Member

That's as grim a news item as I've ever read on here.
The village has been getting quieter over the years I've been passing through, as it turned into more of a holiday cottage community.

"Ill fares the land, to hastening ills a prey,
Where wealth accumulates and men decay"

Mike - is the shop still open?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:21 am 
Illustrious Member
Illustrious Member

I believe the shop/post office is still open. The stock might be fairly limited, though.
You can still camp at the back of the village hall, and, in theory, at least, you're supposed to pay your £5 in at the pub. This will prove quite difficult at the moment!
The B&Bs depend to some extent on the pub being open, so they're probably having a tough time just now.[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:28 pm 
Illustrious Member
Illustrious Member

It's the poor walkers who've struggled over Cross Fell expecting to have a meal at the pub that are going to suffer, unless B&B can be turned into DB&B.

Last time I was in Dufton the shop had closed, so that means Pennine Way walkers can't buy provisions between Middleton in Teesdale and Alston.

I used the "campsite" once, and the woman in the pub showed me round to it but didn't seem to know who to pay or how much it would be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:13 am 
Illustrious Member
Illustrious Member

Stottie wrote:
It's the poor walkers who've struggled over Cross Fell expecting to have a meal at the pub that are going to suffer, unless B&B can be turned into DB&B.

Last time I was in Dufton the shop had closed, so that means Pennine Way walkers can't buy provisions between Middleton in Teesdale and Alston.

Bad news indeed! Mind you even when it was open you couldn't always get a meal (see my account at http://www.daly.co.uk/pennineway/ but at least you could raise your spirits with a pint. The village shop closed at 5:00pm when I was there. Fortunately the Co-op in Alstom is open until 10:00pm. It seems food for backpackers is becoming an increasing problem on the Pennine Way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:40 am 
Illustrious Member
Illustrious Member

Eee - Looks like I was just over a week behind you when you did the PW.
I started on the 10th May 2006.

Hopefully, the locals in Garrigill/Alston Moor will find a solution to the problem at the George. I have some connections locally and in the PW association, so I'll be following the issue closely.

Resupply using shops is certainly starting to become a problem, although there are journeys in the UK with much bigger gaps. Its just another logistical problem to solve. Many walkers on the TGO Challenge, for instance, where there are sometimes three-day gaps between villages in to use post-restante. Most hotels, hostels and B&Bs in Scotland will accept small parcels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I had planned to use parcel drops for the PW - mostly for underwear and maps rather than food - but the principle is the same. Every B&B I asked was happy to accept one - apart from the Hostel in Once Brewed which wouldn't accept one due to "security reasons", but were happy to receive a bag from the baggage courier when I finally arranged that.

As you say Mike, with good planning the PW re-stock situation, although getting worse, is still managable. The problem is when places you are expecting to be open are actually closed (shope in Bowes) or have changed from a "proper" food restaurant to a Thai (Harlequin in Cowling I think).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:42 am 
Illustrious Member
Illustrious Member

Just seen this:
http://peewiglet.wordpress.com/2010/06/02/save-the-george-dragon-in-garrigill/#comment-2518

There's a link to a petition to save the George and Dragon.

I hate to see places like this close down...

Post subject: Re: George and Dragon Garrigill
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:58 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Staying in Garrigill in May at the Eastview and the news from Lana is that the pub opened on Christmas Eve so hopefully it will remain open

Mick

Post subject: Re: George and Dragon Garrigill
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:40 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Stayed in Garrigill on 11 May and can confirm the George and Dragon is open for both solid and liquid refreshment. They are not doing B&B as yet, but will provide breakfast to campers if you let them know the night before that you require it.

Mick

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]