Change font size
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:14 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: New Lad!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:10 pm 

Hey guys,

Im new to the forum and this is the first walking forum i have ever joined or visited. I have an avid interest in the outdoors but have been somewhat limited by knowone i have as friends or family share the interest. Admittedly i havent really ever gone on a `trek` or walk ofg any considerable distance of which i have had to use a compass or map.

My dream is to get out into the wild and explore areas where few people explore. I aim to start walking or `trekking` this year as a serious hobby based in the UK. I live in Nottingham and therefore have no idea where best to go walking but am willing to travel to destinations to explore.

Other than that i dont really have much else to say other than i hope i can get a lot of information and knowledgs from you more experienced guys.

Cheers People!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Singo and welcome to the forum.

You aren't too far from the Derbyshire Dales and the Peak District, which would be a great place to learn navigation skills, high, lonely walking and get your hill-fitness levels up.

A great site to find walks in your area is www.go4awalk.com which has a feature that graphically identifies walks based on OS Map numbers. Just look for walks on Explorer24 and Explorer001 - south peaks and north peaks respectively.

White Peak:
http://www.go4awalk.com/walks/interacti ... ?map=EX024

Dark Peak:
http://www.go4awalk.com/walks/interacti ... ?map=EX001

You need to register and pay a fee to download the route descriptions, but even looking at the walk summary may help you choose them. They are all graded too so you can start small and work your way up.

Don't let not having someone to walk with put you off - I know I would say that :) - but you are much more flexible when not having to rely on a partner and there's something special about being miles from anyone, relying solely on yourself to get back.

Feel free to ask specific questions - I'm sure we can help.

I have a load of Peak District walks in Memory Map. I don't know if you use it, but if you want any of them let me know.

Post subject: Re: New Lad!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:47 am 

Hello Singo,
Welcome to the forum and nice to meet you.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]