Change font size
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:17 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Offa's Dyke
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Has anyone done this walk?

How did you manage with baggage transfer? There doesn't seem to be anyone who does this without booking the whole holiday with them. The alternative seems to be taxis from one B&B to another at about £20 a time - thats over £200 for the route

The C2C looks so much more appealing :)

Post subject: Re: Offa's Dyke
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:07 pm 

Lone Walker wrote:
Has anyone done this walk?

How did you manage with baggage transfer? There doesn't seem to be anyone who does this without booking the whole holiday with them. The alternative seems to be taxis from one B&B to another at about £20 a time - thats over £200 for the route

The C2C looks so much more appealing :)

Hi Lone Walker,

My husband and I walked Offa's Dyke in June of 2000. For the first half
of the walk we carried our gear (only because we thought we could do the whole walk like this but found it a bit much for us), when we got into Knighton we went to the tourist info center and booked the rest of our accommodation with them making sure we booked in at B&B's that moved our luggage.

Unfortunately it was at the time when there was a petrol strike so some of the B&B's decided that the couldn't move our gear once we got there but that only happended once or twice. They were charging around £10 - 12 at that time.

It was 7 years ago so I'm sure prices have changed alot since then but it might be something to consider.

We enjoyed the walk alot but found it a bit remote for us, coming from Canada we like to walk through lots of small villages and you don't get much of that on Offa's Dyke. Your up very high so you have a long walk down if you wanted to see anything in particular along the way.

We will be waking the Cotswold Way starting May 26th and then the North Downs Way right after. We tried contacting B&B's for the NDW and found that those who do luggage transfer were quoting prices of £20 to move the luggage, which I found very high.

Hopefully you will be able to work something out as it is a nice walk and you get beautiful views!!

Good luck :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have decided that the £200+ that I would have to spend on taxis to move my bag along the route would be better spent on buying some good quality lightweight gear - and carrying my load along the route.

The one company that I found to look after baggage transfer are quoting £315 for the 12 days.

I will miss the luxury of a full kit bag waiting for me each night, but I'm not willing to spend that sort of money on taxis - my walking holidays are supposed to be cheap (or at least good value). My whole C2C last year cost not much more than the quote for baggage transfer.

Have a look at Contours web site (link on the WP links page) they do the full package inc baggage for the NDW, which may be more cost effective for a couple - the single person supplement killed it for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:52 am 

Carry your own gear, get a light weight tent, make YOUR own itinerary for the route YOU want to take, when YOU want to take it, on the path YOU want to walk.

All problems solved!

And you'll :D lots more throughout the walk, and especially afterwards, when you can truly ask yourself if you feel Relief or Regret :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

:) :) I did consider doing this - going the whole hog so to speak and camping all the way. But I've never spent a night in a tent in my life and I'm not sure I have time this summer to train sufficiently for that, besides which its likely to add 4 or 5 kilos to my pack weight and 400-500 quid to the bill.

Its certainly something I plan to do though, so maybe I will start the training this summer, so next year I can truly get back to basics.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:38 pm 

Although I can't comment too much on the logistical side of things I live in S.Wales, not too far from the start/finish and can really recommend doing Offa's Dyke. It really is a beautiful walk and some of the towns you pass through are absolutely great! :)

No worries Stu! I haven't actually walked the whole length myself, just sections, so my blind optimism might be misplaced! A lot must depend on finding some good places to stay[/url],the weather etc....

Last edited by WalkieTalkie on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:00 pm 

WalkieTalkie

I'm glad somebody has something good to say about Offa's Dyke Path.

I did the Coast to Coast in May this year and Offa's Dyke is next on the list for sometime in 2012 - probably May again.

I thought Lone Walker was trying to put people off with his account!

Cheers

Stu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:49 am 

There’s no reason to be put off the Offa’s Dyke, it’s one of the best.
The countryside is incredibly beautiful and infinitely varied, and historically it’s at the top of the list. Almost every night you will be rewarded with another fascinating town or village. Walk from south to north to keep the sun on the view not in your eyes, plus you can finish with a great cliff top walk with stunning views to The Great Orme in the west and the Mersey Estuary to the east, before dropping down to the finish at Prestatyn, followed by a dip of the boots (or more) in the sea. Enjoy Stu. :lol:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]