Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:06 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: 22nd August Start
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm all booked up for the ODP.
Accommodation was not busy and there are lots of cheap B&B's along the route.
Unfortunately there's also a lack of decent ODP journals on the web, so flying somewhat blind in that respect.

Wed 22 Aug: Chepstow to Monmouth
Thu 23 Aug: Monmouth to Pandy
Fri 24 Aug: Pandy to Hay-on-Wye
Sat 25 Aug: Hay-on-Wye to Kington
Sun 26 Aug: Kington to Knighton
Mon 27 Aug: Knighton to Brompton
Tue 28 Aug: Brompton to Welshpool
Wed 29 Aug: Welshpool to Oswestry
Thu 30 Aug: Oswestry to Llangollen
Fri 31 Aug: Llangollen to Llandegla
Sat 1 Sep: Llandegla to Bodfari
Sun 2 Sep: Bodfari to Prestatyn

Although this is a shorter path than the C2C at only 188 miles (without the planned trig diversions), there is more total ascent (I think), at over 31,000 feet.

I think most of that height gain is over the 500+ stiles along the route :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:19 pm 
Eminent Member
Eminent Member

Hello LW - are you back yet? How did it go?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I'm back and not really sure I want to talk about my experience on an open forum like this :?

I really did not enjoy the part of the walk that I did - yes that's correct, I didn't finish it!

I wasn't injured (other than my pride) - I just did not enjoy it at all. In fact I was having such a lousy time that I got the wife to come and collect me, I spent a couple of days at home then went touring in Scotland with my car and my tent.

The early part of Offa's Dyke is everything I have come to detest about walking. Its endless fields full of cows, hard rutted pastures, hundreds of stiles, lanes with no views and drivers who won't give you even 2 feet of passing room. By the end of the first day I was beggining to wonder when the walk was going to start. I'd not even seen a hill to speak of.

I wasn't enjoying it, so I sacked it. Not exactly True Grit and endeavour in the face of adversity - but it was supposed to be a holiday!

Bit short on time right now, but I will post more on the subject when I get a chance. Needless to say i wish I'd done the WHW this year as originally planned. I drove along much of that route on the way to Skye and its absolutely stunning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:59 pm 
Eminent Member
Eminent Member

Not to worry I'm sure you did the right thing - there is nothing worse than walking long distances when you are not enjoying it. It sounds like you had a great time in Scotland though.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:21 am 

Hi LW,

I'm sorry you did not enjoy the walk; your description (along with others I've heard) just confirms that I will not choose this walk--although I'm sure there are those who really like it.

Personally, for our trip to England next summer I'm vacillating between spending a week each in the Cotswolds and Lakes, or doing the c2c...we'll see...

Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:33 am 

Ken, You dont even need to think about it The C2C wins hands down.
Go for it, you will enjoy.

Never take life too seriously, nobody ever gets out alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

K

The beauty of doing the C2C is that you get to spend time in three of the best national parks in the country, as well as following probably the most well thought out and considered long distance path in the UK.

Although my head tells me to do something different next year (like it did this year - so much for my stupid head - I won't be listening to him again), my heart tells me to do the C2C again. We'll see!

Cheers
LW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:04 pm 

Why not do the Cleveland Way next year?

Only 7 days, beautiful mixture of scenery, plenty of places to camp. And if that's not long enough, just tag on the Yorkshire Wolds Way on when you get to Filey, to give you similar distance to the C2C.

Although if you weren't keen on the ODP you may not like the YWW.

Certainly recommend the Cleveland Way though. Quite fancy the WHW but tales of midges but me off, especially camping. Anyways I lived in Scotland for about 7 years, so I've done my duty to the Empire :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:53 am 

I have always known that the C2C will spoil you for any other walks in England.

Try the C2C East to West - and discover the very best walk in England.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:42 am 

I must agree with Rompin Donkey about the C2C spoiling you for other walks. As a complete novice I read with great interest about such names as Nannycatch, Loft Beck, Striding Edge and the Lion Inn at Blakey. Everyone who did the walk seemed to love it. Then to go and see it all for myself was fantastic. I quite fancied Offa's Dyke for my next one, spring or summer 2008, and although my planning's at an early stage, there doesn't seem to be the same magic about it. I don't know if LW's negative comments have influenced my thinking, or have simply reinforced what I already subconsciously thought. I keep looking at the PW, that certainly has magic, but might be a bit beyond my capabilities so early in my fledgling walking career - even though I am 47. Also I'm not a big fan of boggy moorland walking, although I understand most of those parts of the PW are paved. Anyone recommend any decent books on Offa's Dyke? I've read the Trailbazer, which goes North to South and isn't very inspiring. One thing that I did notice is that the B&Bs seem a lot cheaper on Offa's Dyke than the C2C, meaning I can probably dispense with the tent and all the weight that goes with it. I did sometimes envy the B&Bers on the C2C as I lugged my 14 kilo pack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

My friend bought me a book of the walk (URL below)

It is not a guide book in the traditional sense (turn left here, etc), its more of a written documentary about the walk and the parts of the country it runs through. It accompanies the BBC Wales series about the walk.

It is quite expensive though (about £16)

http://www.anotherbookshop.com/book.php/products_id/1843236990/OFFA'S%20DYKE/SAUNDERS,%20JIM

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]