Change font size
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:01 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: GPS Waypoints
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:26 pm 

I don't suppose anyone has, or could point me in the direction of, the GPS waypoints for the ODP? I notice there used to be a file on the walkingplaces website but was withdrawn due to inaccuracies. It would save me a bit of donkey work if anyone could help.

Thanks

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Steve

I have the whole route in Memory Map and could export this to something like GPX if that helps. I've just never got round to putting it back up on the website.

Does your GPS have a maximum number of waypoints per route? If so, I can try and reduce the Memory Map route down to something more manageable. On average each day has something like 150-200 waypoints at the moment, which is probably too many for a traditional GPS route?

Cheers
Stuart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:53 pm 

Stuart,

GPX would be great, thanks. My GPS limit is 1,000 waypoints per route. The route I had for the C2C comprised just over 500 waypoints if I remember correctly, and that was ample.

I notice you had planned to go south to north, can I ask what your reasons were? The Trailblazer guide advocates the opposite. My main consideration is that, as far as I can make out, the majority choose S-N, and I find it a bit more sociable to walk with the flow than against it, although quite how much a flow there will be remains to be seen.

Thanks again for your waypoint help,

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:04 pm 
Almost God-like Member
Almost God-like Member

If your going S-N you'll have the sun at your back and you won't be squinting all day. I have the National Trail Offas Dyke strip maps in two books, if you want to borrow them just send me a mail. You will be hard pushed to loose the way as it is well signposted - just beware the locals sending you up the garden path!

Enjoy it - weather permitting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Steve

Just sent them to your email (hotmail address).
Let me know how you get on with them and if they work okay I will get them posted on the website.

In terms of which way to walk, for me S to N was easier in terms of getting lifts to and from the end/start positions. Also as Pete mentioned, it keeps the sun at your back - which for me meant was good.

It does however mean that you start with the worst two days walking country - in my opinion - I hated the cow pastures, rutted fields and meadows and the hills seemed so far away.

Its a matter of record that these depressed me so much I never got further than Hay-on-Wye - much to my continuing chagrin.

In the three days I was walking I met only 2 other people doing the walk, so not much of a flow at all in my case :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]