Change font size
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 8:15 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Lonewalker's Journal - 2010
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The planning and preparation stages with some words on route selection, kit, accommodation and the usual stuff. To be followed as of May 5th by a live blog as I walk the route.

http://www.lonewalker.walkingplaces.co. ... pw2010.htm

This location now has all my daily blog entries consolidated into one single journal. It will also include photos in the next couple of weeks as well.

Last edited by Lone Walker on Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:20 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Lonewalker, bit worried for next year now after reading your blog. Was thinking of taking another crack at the Pennine Way in the hope of being successful this time, but wasn't planning to start the prep till much later. Want to get the C2C out of the way first. Might have to have a change of plan and start looking, would like to walk May/early June 2011.

Good luck with your walk, we'll miss each other by a couple of days in Keld, we are setting off on the 14th May on the C2C.

Mick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

mick

I planned the arse out of this walk - and with hindsight probably didn't need to. I walked on and off for a couple of days with a German guy, Tony, who hadn't booked anything. He carried his own gear (but not camping eqpt) and booked lodging one day ahead. He was mainly using hostels, but he also stayed in a couple of B&Bs as well. He never had a problem finding somewhere for the next night.

I think he only had one or two locations where hostels or bunkhouses were full and this is in May - one of the busier months I believe. The PW just doesn't seem to be as popular as it once was.

Another option is to use one of the package companies like Brigantes - who will book the whole thing for you - and tend to pre-book accommodation for that purpose - so they should be able to cater for you as a late planner. They are a very friendly company and you could give them a call and get a feel for how late you could reasonably book and still expect to get accommodation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:25 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Lonewalker, enjoyed the blog, very interesting! I'm looking at camping next year to try and keep the costs down. I have looked at Brigantes and once I have finalised where I'd like to stay I'll give them a call to see if they drop off there. I'm happy for a few nights B&Bing it, especially if it's a pub!

Planning on about 16/17 days walking holiday and work permitting.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]