Change font size
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:12 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: 100 miles in Tenerife
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am 
I'll begin by saying "Hi all!" This is my first post in the forums, so I'll try my best to make it a good one.

I joined up because I need some advice, my cousin and I know very little about 'serious' walking and we're planning something of a hike in order to raise some money for charity. We're currently planning to go from the northernmost to the southernmost tip of Tenerife, along the west coast. The island itself is quite mountainous, but we're avoiding the massive mountain in the middle in order to make life slightly easier for ourselves. The route we'll be taking is roughly 100 miles, and the temperature is likely to be in the 30's for a lot of the time we're there. I'll be 20 and he'll be 21 when we come to do this, and we're both in pretty good shape. Not exactly marathon runners, but we're both quite active and get plenty of exercise. We'll be doing this next summer, so we have just over 18 months to train for it, so we'll definitely be in good shape when we come to do this.

Anyway, given all this, and the fact that we'll be carrying a fairly heavy backpack each, how many miles a day do you think we'll be able to cover?

Cheers![/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Max, and welcome to the forum.

I think the lack of responses to your question is mainly down to lack of experience - although a lot of members have walked abroard, I guess not many have done what you're going to do.

The main factor will be the heat and availability of water along the route. In that sort of heat you'll be wanting 3 litres of water a day at least - a bare minimum I would guess - much less and you'll quickly start to suffer from fatigue and dehydration.

Carrying all your gear and 3Kgs of water at a time is going to be tough - plus you may need to stock up on more water during the day.

My guess is you'll need 10 days for the walk - including your travel time - if you plan to walk in the morning - siesta in the heat of the day and continue in the late afternoon I bet you can do 12 miles a day without too much problem, provided you can solve the water problem.

Hope that helps

Post subject: Re: 100 miles in Tenerife
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:06 am 

I don't know if you are still planning this but I'm curious as to the route you plan to take. The most northerly point on the island is around the tip of the Anaga Mountains, a range of remote peaks crossed by deep barrancos (ravines) with very little in the way of facilities, although there is an excellent footpath network. There are small, very rural villages where you will probably be able to get meals in bars etc but your main problem would be obtaining water. There are no permanent streams or rivers on the island so you would need to plan very carefully to enable you to get water from villages. There are some channels in the mountains that still carry water and occasional taps/springs but again you would need to know where they are. The most southerly point of the island is Punta de Rasca between the southern airport and Los Cristianos and if you are planning to go via the west coast this is a strange route to take. Your start and finish points are probably not those that I mentioned however, although they are the northern and southern extremities. There is no coastal path around the island and you would almost certainly have to head inland or walk through urbanised areas to stay near the coast. There is a long distance path, the GR131, that extends for 85 kilometres from La Esperanza, above the north above airport to Arona in the south. By careful planning you could walk across the Anaga mountains to pick up this path and then follow local paths from Arona to the coast down by Los Cristianos. If you are still planning to do this walk and want further information please let me know.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]