Change font size
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:01 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: In addition to St. Cuthbert's Way, which walk?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:02 am 

You can guess where this is going by the subject line..... We are open to your suggestions for a walk of 4-10 days duration to either combine with this one or start in a different location. I've read about Borders Abbeys Way which we could do prior to Bert's Way and I've read about a lot of others as well. Now your part comes in as I'm sure you all have suggestions of your favourite LDW so here's a chance to help us out. We will most likely be walking in May or June of 2010 and have about 2 weeks or so to wander around. We have done the C2C previously and friends of ours would like to do Bert's Way hence that walk.
Thanks so much. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:22 am 
Illustrious Member
Illustrious Member

My suggestions would all fit nicely into a week and give you time for sightseeing instead of relentless footslogging throughout your vacation.

I met some hikers who were on the Border Abbeys Way when I was walking north from Jedburgh to Edinburgh, and they commented on the excellent waymarking. The walk is less challenging than the C2C, so your delights come from the softer landscape and the long history. It links to "Bert".

If you fancy moderate walks in Scotland, have a look at the Rucksack Readers site www.rucsacs.com. Great variety without forcing you to climb craggy summits. I'm hoping to do more of their walks in the next couple of years. They have a forum on their site, and Jacquetta Megarry is good at offering practical advice as a walker and author of some of the books.

I'm sure others will suggest English hikes like the Dales Way which fits nicely into a week and has good rail connections at each end. There is also the "Inn Way" series in England, written by Mark Reid. One of these is in Northumberland, which would link easily with "Bert". There are others for the Yorkshire Dales, Peak District, and I think more besides.

Or you can do as I usually do: make your own with the aid of Ordnance Survey maps - happy to help if you ask!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Why not see the some of the best that the Yorkshire Dales has to offer by following the Herriot Way?
It has the added advantage of being a circular walk, normally done over 4 days, so you can leave a car in any of the towns along the way and make your way back to it.
It is also supported by baggage couriers, so no need to carry everything with you.
Plenty of information on the web, or my journal of the walk from 2005 is here:
http://www.lonewalker.walkingplaces.co. ... erriot.htm

Cheers
LW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:59 pm 

Thanks for your input.
Borders Abbeys Way does sound like a nice walk to go along so that may well be incorporated into the beginning of "Bert's" Way. We have also been reading about the Hadrian's wall walk which sounds interesting as well. I think the real problem is that you have too many walks that all sound great to do. We'll just have to retire so we have more vacation time :D One of our other options is to do the Kintyre Way which a friend that will be walking with us has suggested.
LW - I did look into Herriot's Way and even though the route looks good we have already stayed in Grinton Lodge and Keld so would like to see other places. I do love that part of the country and have fond memories of watching 'All Creatures Great and Small' on TV.

What ever our choice we'll record our journal online once the trip is done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:46 am 
Illustrious Member
Illustrious Member

Kintyre Way is a good one: great views to islands and the opportunity for ferry rides to Arran (Scotland in microcosm, with a coastal walk right round), Gigha (delightful little island for a day trip), Islay (malt whiskies galore) and Jura (reached by an additional ferry from Islay).
There's a coach from Glasgow to the northern end and back from Campbeltown, which makes things easy. I used baggage transfer, but you could probably wild camp.
I made my trips out there 2 or 3 years ago. The Kintyre Way is now better underfoot than it was then. It would be much quieter than Hadrian's Wall, which was well populated by enthusiastic end-to-enders when I was there in May 09.
As you say, there are too many choices of path, and too many seductive side trips, so get walking!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:20 pm 

Hi Stottie
Thanks for the input about the Kintyre Way. The walk does sounds interesting and I agree will be much quieter than Hadrians Wall. Getting to and from the start will not be too difficult as our friend lives in Glasgow so she'll make the arrangements. Now we just need to find a cheaper way of getting across the pond!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:20 pm 

I would thoroughly recommend the Borders Abbeys way. It is a circular route so if you start/finished in Melrose you can carry straight on to the St Cuthberts way without missing a beat. The other option would be to start in Kelso and walk clockwise to Melrose as the Melrose to Kelso section runs parallel with the first section of St Cutberts.

Walked the BAW in February this year and got very lucky with the weather. Day's 1 + 2 have their problems, there is a long stretch on tarmac coming into Kelso, but the scenery is outstanding. The rest of the walk is very enjoyable, not to mention the historical aspect of the Abbeys themselves.

The walk also passes through most of the Borders major towns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:06 pm 

Thanks for the comments on the BAW. Our trip that was planned for Britain this year has been postponed for another time. When we were hiking in Slovakia last year we happened upon some beautiful pictures of the Julian Alps in Slovenia so off we are headed this coming September. We are planning on walking part of the Via-Alpina red trail starting in Trieste Italy and ending in Austria. We will be back to Britain though to complete some of your wonderful walks. Happy walking :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:13 pm 

I'm obscenely jealous :oops:

Slovenia is one of the best kept secrets in Europe and the walking there is apparently spectacular (my parents go walking there nearly every year). I was there through work in 2003, and not had the chance to go back yet.

You are in for a treat!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]