Change font size
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:58 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: Winter Walking
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:05 pm 

As were well & truly in autum & the nights are drawing in I was just wondering which preffered season do you like to be out there in the elements .
Me personaly i prefer autum (which is pretty frustrating as im here today sat at my dinning room table) I love all the colour that autum brings ,Fantastic for taking pictures & the summer crowds seem to drop off untill the next year! So finding parking spaces is that much easier to!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Autumn is great visually - lots of colours as you say.

I personally love a hard crisp cold winter walk - not too much snow on the ground - but the colder the better for me - lots of frost is very cool on the higher peaks - it makes such great patterns. The problem is that you only get 2 or 3 per year - the rest of the winter is just like the summer, sprink and autumn, just a bit colder and windier :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:42 pm 
Illustrious Member
Illustrious Member

I never seem to do much walking in the summer I think because the garden takes preference! Also there are holidays to contend with. Of course if you really mean 'winter walking' then it can be spectacular:

and somtimes hard going!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:21 pm 
Illustrious Member
Illustrious Member

April-June is my time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

John

A stunning first picture - where is that?

Stottie

April-June is certainly my preferred time for long distance walking - fairly early in the season and some of the best weather of the year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:48 pm 
Illustrious Member
Illustrious Member

Lone Walker wrote:
John

A stunning first picture - where is that?

Stottie

It's one of my favourites. It is Aladdin's Seat at the top of Aladdin's Couloir in Coire an t-Sneachda in Cairngorm. Loch Morlich is in the distance.

Post subject: Re: Winter Walking
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:16 am 

I love a good Winter Walk - So long as you are properly kitted out mind. I underestimated a walk in the black mountains one winter, it was one I was really used to, but I went with rotting boot laces. Needless to say the laces didn't survive the snow and I had a painfully cold foot. Not quite so enjoyable!

When all goes to plan though it is well worth it, the views are always so much more spectacular when there is a covering of snow and there is often a unique atmosphere you don't find at other times in the year. Bring on some serious snow covered walks this winter!

I brought up this topic with a cousin of mine and he told me about a time when he'd gone over to Holland on business during the winter. He took his walking stuff with him as he knew he would have a bit of free time but during his stay there was a record snow fall. So much snow fell that on his one morning off he was unable to leave hisBed and Breakfast in Amsterdam. It wasn't until the afternoon when the snow was finally cleared and by that time he had some conference/meeting to attend.

The snow isn't always kind to would-be-walkers!

Last edited by WalkieTalkie on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:33 am 
Illustrious Member
Illustrious Member

Yes, winter walks can be great. There's the temptation to think I'll do as many miles on snow as I would on dry ground in summer - the reality is that I do fewer, significantly so. And the anticipation of striding out over frozen snowfields that have smoothed all the inconvenient irregularities in the landscape is rarely how it turns out in reality - maybe if I lost more weight I'd not break through the crust!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:30 am 

I'd say winter also. Makes the walk more of a challenge....and the views can be spectacular!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:23 pm 

I agree that Winter walking can be great. But for me the best walking season is Spring. I just love the sights and sounds of nature waking up again. I guess for me there is a lot more to see in Springtime; you can still see through the trees, but it all starts to go green again. Birds singing, the first butterflies, flowers. Sigh... And I prefer Spring temperatures as well ;) But I'll have to wait a bit longer I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:56 am 

Walk is my favorite activity but i always avoid walking in summer season. I do walking in winter and i love to do it. This is my favorite thing to do in winter. Nice pics and i also like this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:05 am 

I didn`t walk in summer coz it is so humid and hot, with temps over 90 throughout the day all summer. In the fall and winter, i walk often, about once a day.

Last edited by alvanorichie on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]