Change font size
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:51 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: Global Warming & Climate Change - A Debate !
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:02 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Just read an interesting article on the BBC enviroment website by Richard Betts concerning Climate change etc

Just wondered what other folks opinions here are on global warming/ climate change

I think the 4 seasons have moved around - plants coming out far too early and the like

Anyway here is a link to the article for your perusal

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8451756.stm

Have a read then please post your thoughts & viewpoints here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:50 pm 
Illustrious Member
Illustrious Member

I don't think these MET office wallah's make convincing arguments - for instance - thus chap says that whilst we may be having the coldest winter for 14 years (some would say 30) - the UK is only half of 1000th of the world's surface. The two facts aren't linked. The coldest winter in 30 years (or whatever) is affecting the whole of the Northern Hemisphere including Asia and America. An American meteorologist more convincingly for me, described the phenomena as an "arctic oscillation". Why the MET office should put out misinformation to make the case of climate change just makes them look stupid, in my opinion. No wonder so many people don't believe it. Its not just the UK, that plainly isn't true.
This bloke explained that the arctic oscillation phenomena occurs regularly and is caused by changes in air pressure over the arctic ice pack.
I don't know what to believe personally, but I would take anything published by the MET office with a pinch of salt (and some grit)
I think the main problem is with over population, and its been projected that even with current levels of immigration, the population of Northern Europe will reduce by 17 million people over thenext 30 yeasr and that the population of ex-USSR countries is reducing by a quarter of a million people per year. Given that we're told that driving 5 miles a week less will save the planet (seems laughable) then, surely the population reduction of Europe should more than solve this problem - thats 17 million people fewer going shopping, driving about, going to school, eating food....)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:01 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Rather than driving 5 miles a week less, why not do what I do, cycle to work or walk :D

I dont own a car anyway, the running costs are horrendous :shock:

My missus has a small Peugeot car which she needs in her job as a home carer and on the very rare occassion I use that

If work is within a reasonable distance it would be nice to see folk cycle in as opposed to using a car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:10 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Almost forgot :roll:

Pollution can not be blamed entirely on motorists though, aircraft are greater air polluters by far !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I read an interesting statistic somewhere recently that puts things in perspective for me...

The UK as a whole; cars, planes, industry, everything - contributes slightly over 1% of the worlds CO2 emissions.

So if the whole country went back to the middle ages tomorrow the world would not notice a damn thing.

driving 5 miles a week less, only boiling half a kettle and these other "initiatives" are simply gestures to placate the big polluters like China and the US - so we can say - "look we're doing something".

The banning of pearl light bulbs was the ultimate "whatever next" moment for me :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:19 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I believe China is the worst polluter :shock:

The asthma rates are terrible amid other breathing problems, poor health etc, lets see if they cut their emissions !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:34 pm 

Yomper wrote:
Almost forgot :roll:

Pollution can not be blamed entirely on motorists though, aircraft are greater air polluters by far !!

Not really true if you look at any stats they can show a positive and a negitive side to the use of aircraft. The average car has only 2.1 passengers compaired to the hundreds on each flight so if you divide the carbon footprint between each passenger the aircraft is by far the smaller footprint. Any public transport is better than a car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:12 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I will remain suspicious of those who fly to Copenhagen in private jets,and then lecture us about pollution levels.
Nimrod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Haha, Paxman did an interview with Sting recently on Newnight and ripped into him somewhat on this issue. Sting says "I fed up of celebrities being blamed for global warning" and Paxman replies "I'm not blaming you for it at all, I accusing you of hypocracy" :)

Obviously that is paraphrased

Nice one Paxman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:02 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Rather than getting caught up in and taking sides in the very complex subject of "Is the climate changing and if so, what can be done about it?" isn't it better if we all recognise we should be good husbands of what ever resources the world has, and set an example for others to follow in doing so?

This "is so, is not", debate belongs to the school yard when it is clear the world has far too many people around to feed, the air and water is becoming more poluted and that we are covering far too much of our precious land with housing.

All un-informed and biased arguments do is to lead to inaction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:50 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

The world is to small

Maybe,

It should not be !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yomper wrote:
The world is to small
Maybe,
It should not be !

I think we're pretty much stuck with what we've got size wise.

Post subject: Re: Global Warming & Climate Change - A Debate !
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:42 am 

I agree Yomper, the seasons do seem to be straying from the traditional times of year. That said, I woudln't like to comment on the reasons behind it as I am no scientist.

One thing I will say though is that I find the attitude "We aren't big enough to make a change so we won't bother trying" absolutely appalling. It is so arrogant to think that we are so exempt from having to make any effort that would help the evironment. It is just a very small-minded excuse to avoid some minor inconvenience.

I'm no hippy but I absolutely detest that argument. It's lazy!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]