Change font size
It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:19 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Displaying photos/track on OS Opoen Space Map
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:31 pm 
Illustrious Member
Illustrious Member

Having read about the OS Open Space map in this forum got me involved. Having successfully written the java script to display a tracklog file on an Ordnance Survey map I have now managed to add photo markers to the page. I used the 'Correlate JPG files' function in GPSU to generate a set of waypoints and saved these. The file is then used to generate markers on the Ordnance Survey Open Space map. If you want to see this in action then go to: http://www.daly.co.uk/john/walks/cuillinridge/2009/ and then click on the OS Map option on the left of the page.
If you are interested in using this page to produce your own map on your web site then let me know and I will give you further details. All you basically need is your tracklog file, your photo waypoints file, (produced using GPSU), a copy of my web page and of course the photos!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

John

I tried the link and then clicked on OS Map and got a blank screen.
I tried zooming in and that solved the blank screen issue, but couldn't see any route or photos on the Cuillins.

Am I doing something wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:51 am 
Illustrious Member
Illustrious Member

Lone Walker wrote:
John

I tried the link and then clicked on OS Map and got a blank screen.
I tried zooming in and that solved the blank screen issue, but couldn't see any route or photos on the Cuillins.

Am I doing something wrong?

Which browser are you using? The open Space API requires IE v6 or later, or Firefox or Opera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:50 am 
Illustrious Member
Illustrious Member

It does require Java Script ot be turned on in your browser. Has anyone else had problems accessing it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:37 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

works for me!

thats a really neat trick, although I'm not sure I could remember where all the pics belonged!

might try it after our yorkshire & lakes trip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ahh, it didn't work for me in IE8, but it did work in Firefox.

The technology looks very good and your photos are stunning - thanks for sharing this, I may well call on you at some point - perhaps I could use something like this on the C2C page.

Can you open it up so others can add photos? I don't mean your walk - I was thinking of having a C2C route on the WP site that people could add their own photos to.

Just an idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:21 am 
Illustrious Member
Illustrious Member

gleavem wrote:
works for me!

thats a really neat trick, although I'm not sure I could remember where all the pics belonged!

might try it after our yorkshire & lakes trip

You don't need a good memory, Michelle, just a GPS that you can download your track from and a camera with the time set to the same time as the GPS unit!! It takes about five minutes to produce the two files you need using GPSU. GPSU (or GPS Utility) is available as freeware with some limitations on numbers of track and way points or at a reasonble price with fantastic support. It would also be possible to produce the two files using something like Excel but that would involve a lot of typing. Let me know if you want to use it and I will send you more details.
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:48 am 
Illustrious Member
Illustrious Member

Lone Walker wrote:

The technology looks very good and your photos are stunning - thanks for sharing this, I may well call on you at some point - perhaps I could use something like this on the C2C page.

Can you open it up so others can add photos? I don't mean your walk - I was thinking of having a C2C route on the WP site that people could add their own photos to.

Just an idea.

Ah yes - IE8 of course. It worked OK with mine. Try going to Tools on the menu bar and checking Compatability View. It should work then.

You are more than welcome to use it on the WP web site. It basically consists of three parts: 1. the web page which contains all the java script and does the work; 2. a csv file with the track log for the route; 3. a csv file (photos.txt) containg the coordinates for the photos. I use GPSU to produce the two CSV files but there is no reason why they can not be edited/produced in Excel. In fact I am trying that at the moment in order to add a description to the photos in the pop up window. If you wanted others to be able to add photos then it would only be necessary to add the OS coordinates of a photo together with it's file name to the photos.csv file and upload it. The track file and the web page (html) file would not need to change. Of course you wold need the photos as wel!!

If you want to play around with it then let me know and I will send you the files with some simple instructions to try it out.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:52 pm 
Illustrious Member
Illustrious Member

john wrote:
Lone Walker wrote:

I've added a bit to the script that now tells you waht to do if you are using IE8. The problem is within the OS Open Space scripts so it's not something I can do a lot about.

John

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]