Change font size
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:42 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Ideas for honeymoon - USA / Canada
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:18 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Hello all,
Sorry I've been a stranger - we seem to have had very little time for walking this year so far.

We're starting to plan our wedding and our thoughts turned to honeymoons... we'd like to do something outdoorsy, maybe a mixture of hiking/walking/biking/canoeing/kayaking. My first thought was to call out to the international experts :wink: on here to see if anyone has any ideas or recommendations. We're thinking USA / Canada if budget allows.

Thanks!
Michelle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

How about a walk down the Colorado River? Or doing a section of the Appalachian (sp?) Trail. I know its a bit touristy now, but there are walking options in Yellowstone - if you don't mind bears.

Have a read of Bill Brysons - A Walk in the Woods - very funny and quite informative about the Appalachian Trail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:57 pm 
Illustrious Member
Illustrious Member

Fly to San Francisco. Don't rent a car for the first 3 days, because it's a liability. Stay city centre or Fisherman's Wharf area and get the jet lag out of your system. Do touristy stuff.

Then ent a car and drive to Yosemite. If your budget stands it, stay in the park - book ahead - or at Yosemite Bug Hostel outside the park (not YHA England and Wales style, I hasten to add). Do day walks to top of Half Dome and Yosemite Falls. And do some touristy stuff. (By the way, this works best in mid-summer, when the falls are spectacular and the snow has melted).

There's plenty more...only time and money required!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:53 am 

I'm biased but come to Vancouver British Columbia for a few days then head to Whistler where there is lots of hiking in the summer and skiing in the winter. There is also a brand new Youth Hostel in Whistler that has just opened this year so that would help with the costs. If you want to head to Yellowstone National Park in the USA I'd also highly recommend that. Not only do you have fantastic scenery there but also all the volcanic geysers and wild animals. Just down the highway is the Grand Teton National Park which also has outstanding hiking. We have been there twice and have never met a bear while out hiking. Accommodations in the parks may be pricey but camping is very reasonable. Depending on the time of year you are thinking of will dictate where you go. This year the hiking in the mountains near Whistler BC have just recently had the last of the snow melt away so the trails are clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:50 pm 

I am also biased, but Vancouver and environs are certainly beautiful--especially from July through September. At that time of the year the Oregon Coast is also very beautiful and would be a great setting for a honeymoon.

I wouldn't do it for a honeymoon (unless you both are up for something really strenuous), but you could do parts of the Pacific Crest Trail, which basically runs along the crest of the Cascade Mountains from northern Washington State through Oregon and then down into California. Like the Appalachian Trail but much rougher and tougher (by reputation--I haven't done it)!

The other suggestions all sound great--amazing how I grew up in Oregon and have lived in or near Vancouver for years, but have seen very few of the places like the Grand Tetons/Yellowstone/Yosemite which are really not all that far away.

Instead, I keep coming to your country for my walking/hiking holidays; maybe its something about the pub at the end of the day...and no bears!

Happy planning,

Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:07 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Thanks guys!
At the moment vancouver is top of the list. My other half lived in Seattle for a year so we'd like to pop in there too. SO the west coast is probably where we'll head.
I did happen upon the west coast trail which looked like a very tempting challenge, although there were lots of warnings! Anyone attempted this one and can give some guidance on just how difficult it could be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:13 am 

Excellent choice if I do say so myself. The West Coast trail needs to be reserved in advance. We haven't done it but did the Juan de Fuca trail a number of years ago and had a great time. The Juan de Fuca trail is also on Vancouver Island. Both trails would require you to fly to Vancouver then either take another flight to Victoria or rent a car and take the ferry over. With renting a car you then have the problem of getting back to it once you had completed the trail plus you'd be paying for something that was just sitting there. If you're thinking of staying in Vancouver for a bit we could always take you out for a hike. By the way what time of year are you thinking of? That will also make a difference to the trails you can do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:37 pm 

I have not done it, but since you and your husband-to-be are seasoned long-distance walkers, I doubt that the West Coast Trail would be too much for you. I've heard it has a lot of up and downs, some with ladders, etc. It can also be quite wet (although if you go in July-September the weather is usually better). But as westcoasthiker mentioned, there would be some logistical challenges involved (including booking it as it is a popular walk).

If you do come to Vancouver, I think there are quite a few walks you can do without a car, using public transport (one example is the "Grouse Grind"--a walk up one of the mountains on the North Shore). I don't know this area as well since I live an hour east of the city, but if you do choose Vancouver, I'm sure westcoasthiker could give you some ideas...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]