Change font size
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:22 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]
 Post subject: West Highland Way in May
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:58 am 

Well folks I have the Trailblazer guide book in my grubbly little mit, two of my walking budies on side, just need to persuade the moth (man of the house) that I need a week or so with the gals sometime next May.

This is one walk I have on my list of things to do before I slip out of my dish, so planning will start next week.

I have read all of the microsites on here; all the posts on the message board I just need to have a bit of space in my busy schedule to get it all booked up.

Will let you know the dates and how the planning goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:53 pm 
Illustrious Member
Illustrious Member

Early May before the midges,
Leaves not yet unfurled on trees.
Cornices on sunlit ridges
High above you - it's a breeze!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:53 am 

Stottie wrote:

Aah that's nice thank you. I spent ages looking through the book last night and just need to sort out dates, and train times, as we are going to travel from Norfolk/Suffolk by train, just for a change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:46 pm 
Almost God-like Member
Almost God-like Member

Nice to see you are walking West Highland Way, HB. I will one day do that walk maybe in 2012. But, I'm planning Cumbria Way for 2011.

Anyway, good luck in the planning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stottie wrote:

Don't forget the Bluebells!
I won't even attempt to add to your wonderful prose

Post subject: West Highland Way
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:55 pm 

Ok, it's all booked. I have finished booking the accommodation and baggage transfer for the West Highland Way.

Three of the fourwalkers are starting out on 6th May and are really looking forward to walking in Scotland for a change..... but that blooming coast to coast is still in my head, I wasn't warned about it's addictive qualities, you all kept that quiet didn't you? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:19 pm 

Training starts this week, ok so we are a bit late in getting organised, but we do get quite a bit of non planned walking in on a daily basis, but we do need to get onto the serious stuff now.

We start with a 15 mile stroll on Wednesday and I shall let you guys know how much pain we are in on Thursday! The weather down here has been wet and cold (no snow), so we should be up to our ears in mud! No change there then.

Is there anyone else on this site planning to do this walk this year? Would love to hear your plans.
HB

Post subject: Re: West Highland Way in May
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:30 am 

A quick update, we are enjoying our training, the weather has been kind and we are getting excited as we only have a few weeks before the start of the walk.

I booked the train tickets online and got a bargain. From Stowmarket to Glasgow for three old gals with old gals rail cards we paid £58.60. Our return from Fort William to Stowmarket £93. All the b&b's are booked as is the baggage transfers. We just need to have enough dosh for food and a drink or two!

Would love to hear if anyone else is doing it this year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:25 am 

Training is going well, and, touch wood, no injuries or blisters. Following the weather reports everyday and have decided to take flippers instead of boots!

Seriously we have reproofed all our gear again and are planning to put it to the test, but it just doesn't want to rain in this part of the country! I shall just have to put all my gear on and get into the shower.... well it may work!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:30 pm 

finished a few weeks ago, got very lucky(?) with the weather - only one day of rain. Pity about the blizzards though :mrgreen:

Fantastic walk in the snow from Tyndrum North.

Only point to note was the diversion in place on the last day that takes you by the single track road into Fort William. The forestry work up there has been extensive over the winter - there were very few trees left. The website says that the work should be finished by easter though.

If the diversion is still in place to get to the finish turn right at the roundabout at the very bottom of the hill onto the high street. The finish is only a couple of hundred yards up the road.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:00 am 

ron6632 wrote:
finished a few weeks ago, got very lucky(?) with the weather - only one day of rain. Pity about the blizzards though :mrgreen:

Fantastic walk in the snow from Tyndrum North.

Only point to note was the diversion in place on the last day that takes you by the single track road into Fort William. The forestry work up there has been extensive over the winter - there were very few trees left. The website says that the work should be finished by easter though.

If the diversion is still in place to get to the finish turn right at the roundabout at the very bottom of the hill onto the high street. The finish is only a couple of hundred yards up the road.

I take it you didn't get bothered by the midges!! Sad to hear about the trees being cut down I do hope they have left a few bushes though there are times when we ladies need them.

Thank you for the info about the diversion. Are you going to write up your experiences? It would be good to read about your version of the walk.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:08 pm 

The Way was midge free for us - you have no idea how much more enjoyable this makes it :D

There were quite a few fairly large mosquitos floating around at the top of Loch lomond which was a bit of a surprise. They weren't really in large enough numbers to cause a problem.

The whole of the forest, with some small exceptions at Blar a Chaorainn has gone - quite a large area. I'm not so sure about the area into Glen Nevis as this was well away from the diversion route. There was plenty of spare vegetation to hide behind, but has the potential to get a bit prickly! :P

Have been writing up my blog so far and just have to finish off the last day. There is lots to look forward to, especially if the weather keeps up - the sun is shining in Scotland and its actually warm (over 10oC) 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:44 am 

At last I have got my act together to put our itinerary on here so that anyone walking the same time as us will know where to avoid us!! Seriously, we would be delighted to catch up with anyone doing this walk too.
Thurs May 5th arrive at Milngavie overnight at West View
Fri May 6th Elmbank, Drymen
Sat May 7th Rowardennnan YH
Sun May 8th Rose Cottage Inverarnan
Mon May 9th Crianlarich YH
Tues May 10th The West Highland Way sleeper
Wed May 11th Kings House Hotel, Glencoe
Thurs May 12th MacDonal Hotel, Kinlochleven
Fri, Sat & Sun 13th, 14th & 15th Bank Street Lodge

We are hoping to get to the top of Ben Nevis on 14, and catch early morning train back to the wild and flat East Anglia on the Monday.

We have done loads of training, (no hills here but a few tiny hillocks), and hopefully will be fit enough to get to the top of Ben Nevis at the end.

We are raising money for the Shelterbox appeal which provides emergency accommodation in disaster areas http://www.justgiving.com/HeatherandJenny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:57 pm 

I have done the WHW numerous times also parts of the walk on weekends any info i can help you with please ask i am sure i will be able to help you out with the walk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:13 pm 

hammy wrote:
I have done the WHW numerous times also parts of the walk on weekends any info i can help you with please ask i am sure i will be able to help you out with the walk

Thank you that's kind of you. I think we are at the stage of if we haven't sussed it yet then it's almost too late to worry about it. I shall write up our experiences on this site when we get back. Watch this space

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:07 am 

At last, we are off to Scotland in the morning and start our walk on Friday.
There are three older ladies here with bags packed, unpacked, checked, packed......Waterproofs waterproofed, boots cleaned and waterproofed.
Training was wonderful with lovely sunshine and no rain, reality is it will most probably be wet, but it won't stop us enjoying this long anticipated walk.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:26 pm 

Hi guys, well I can't get twitter on this computer, but at least I can give you an update. We are at Kingshouse, and it has chucked it down all day, we now have webbed feet. It has been a wonderful walk so far, with just two more days to go and then if the weather is kinder than it has been we are planning to do Ben Nevis. We have a spare day and may take a train journey somewhere.
The Bridge of Orchy West Highland Way Sleeper was a great experience and not one to be missed, it's different!

Will write up our experiences when I get home, thank you for your interest. The beer here is good.
HB

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:36 pm 

We completed the WHW on Friday 13th May! It was wet, but that didn't stop us enjoying the beautiful views (when the clouds lifted a little), or enjoying good company along the way. Our overnight stops were interesting with a lovely welcome in all of them and especially the West Highland Way Sleeper on the station at The Bridge of Orchy.

When I get time.... that is always a problem in this house - I shall write up our experience and with the help of Stuart (hi there Stuart, it's that woman again), it will be added to our Four Walkers microsite on here. Please don't hold your breath though.

We met up with Chris Morrison the nice young man who we met in the forest going up Dent Hill on the C2C last year, he lives north of the border so was able to join us, and he bought a copy of my book... it's in the post Chris.

Hello to all those who did the walk from 6th - 13th May, we were the three old ducks taking our time up and down the hills. Two of us wore a waterproof cape over our jackets and rucksacks you couldn't have missed us.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]