Change font size
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:34 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
 Post subject: Lakes and Dales Walkabout
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:03 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

All is booked, my plans are set for a grand walkabout across the lakes and dales and some nice ridges. The route encompasses the Cumberland Way, Westmorland Way and Dales Highway with some modifications to make it a little more exciting.

Starting from Ravenglass on 27 April, two days to Buttermere, ending the second day along High Stile and Red Pike before dropping down to Buttermere. Then a dilemma, whether to take that magnificent ridge route up Whitless Pike and along Causey Pike to Keswick (my first inclination) or the standard lower route along Sail Beck and Rigg Beck. I took the high route last year but the low route which I've never done looks interesting also. Perhaps I've answered my own question.

Two days to Penrith where I'll forgo the walk to Appleby by taking the late afternoon train and saving a day off my schedule.

Starting Westmorland Way in Appleby, it's three days to Patterdale via Shap and Pooley Bridge. Another deviation, from Patterdale go over St Sunday and down the east side of the Fairfield Horseshoe to my overnight in Ambleside. I've had three chances to walk St Sunday and weather shut me out each time. Maybe the fourth time will be the charm. Also, I have never been east of Hart Crag on the Horseshoe so I'm looking forward to that.

Now comes the transition to the Dales Highway. I'll walk over to Troutbeck, then up High Street to Mardale Ill Bell, Mardale Head and along the Old Corpse Road, through Swindale and to my overnight in Shap. This will be my toughest day, but all new ground for me so it should be an interesting day.

To actually get onto the Dales Highway, I'll take a bus from Shap down to Tebay and walk the 3.5 miles to the path just west of Newbiggin. Then on to Sedburgh, only a 14 mile day total. Then its smooth sailing along the mapped route. I'll bypass Whernside but summit Ingleborough after stopping overnight at the Ribblehead Station Inn. The next three overnight stops are Settle, Malham and Skipton, treating myself to some nice B&Bs.

After a short walk from Skipton, I'm planning to take the train to Leeds from Ilkley so I can have some down time in Leeds before taking the train to London the next morning on 13 May. Altogether, 16 walking days, about 220 miles, 14 miles per day plus the half day at the end.

The terrible winter rains and a three week trip to India have put a crimp in walking fitness, not to mention having to dispose of a large pine tree that blew over in my back yard. But I feel my legs toughening up over the last two weeks with some good walks in the hills. I should be ready in two weeks.

Post subject: Re: Lakes and Dales Walkabout
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:54 am 

Wow Gregg, that looks great and its gave me some great ideas. :)
What date will you be in Settle?
Rich

Last edited by RICH+DONNA on Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:55 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

R&D, I'll arrive in Settle 9 May, staying at Whitefriers B&B. Will you be around?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:09 pm 

Hi Gregg
I've just realised its the following weekend when i'm staying in Settle, thats a shame, it would have been great to bump into each other.
So you are walking to Malham from Settle? this is a walk we have just done http://wainwright-richardswalks.blogspo ... alham.html
Have a good trip :)
Rich

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gregg

What does you daily itinerary look like?
I'm free on the 25th, 29th and 30th April and may be able to join you for a section on one of those days?

Stuart

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:42 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Stuart

April 25 I will be flying from San Francisco.
April 29 is Buttermere to Keswick
April 30 from Keswick to Dockray (bank holiday weekend)

It would be great to have you along either of those days. On the 29th, I'm torn between going over Whitless and Causey Pikes as I did last year or taking the lower route along Sail and Rigg Becks which runs into the Cumbria Way. On the 30th, I'm thinking of taking the side path up Great Dodd which would add 2.5 miles to the day (total 15.5 mi). As you can see, nothing is set in stone.

R+D, your blog is nice, good to see what the path looks like from Settle to Malham Cove.
I left a comment on your site.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gregg wrote:
April 29 is Buttermere to Keswick

That looks quite do-able from a logistics point of view - there's a little bus that runs between the two that should get me back to my car parked in Buttermere.
Let me try and organise things this end and I'll let you know in a day or two.

Cheers
LW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:51 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Plane across the pond leaves tomorrow (Mon) morning. My pack is packed along with three guidebooks, The Cumberland Way, Westmorland Way and Dales High Way and a clutch of maps. Looks like the weather will be kind to me. Just so I get some good photos around Wastwater and Buttermere
I will be happy.

Stuart, let me know before I leave if you can join me from Buttermere. I am staying at the YH there. Remember, I am eight hours behind your time. Hope you can make it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gregg

Yes, count me in.
Only slight problem could be the blister I picked up yesterday - huge monster of a thing under ball of left foot.
I'm hoping it'll be sorted by Friday and I'll meet you in the hostel.
In the event I'm not fit I'll leave a message for you at reception for when you arrive on Thursday night.
Unless you have a mobile number that will work in the UK? PM, or email me with it and I'll call you Thursday evening.

All being well, see you Friday.
Cheers
Stuart

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:57 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Stuart, sounds good. See you there.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can report that Gregg is going well - yesterday we walked the central ridge from Buttermere to Keswick.
The wind was incredible - some of the worst I've ever walked in - it blew Gregg over at one point and I was worried for my own safety, despite carrying plenty of balast :)

The day was superb though and Gregg is fit and well.

Photos from the day can be found here (all of them):
https://picasaweb.google.com/sw.greig/2 ... Lv02tG5Bg#

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:29 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Stuart reported on the third day of my walkabout, so I'll bring you up to date now that I'm back in California. It was really a fantastic walk with all kinds of weather to test me.

First two days were absolutely beautiful, but gale force winds over Whiteless Pike, with Stuart, on the Wedding day were scary. Next few days, lots of sun with wind, then a misty day over St. Sunday and Fairfield with spotty rain and sun until I finished the walk. As expected, my toughest day was from Ambleside up over High Street with rain and almost zero visibility, then through Swindale to Shap, 19 long miles.

The last few days, I followed the Dales High Way north to south starting from Bowderdale. There were several highlights: Ribbleshead Viaduct, meeting DHW authors Tony and Chris Grogan on the path south of Settle, and the three Malham stars, Malham Cove, Janet's Foss and Gordale Scar. Another whiteout occurred over the Calf with me practically bumping into the Trig point. This walk was a joy thanks to the well written DHW guidebook which took me over places I had not been before but connected into some of my favorite villages. Thanks Tony and Chris!

In all, 238 miles of a great walkabout around Cumbria and the Yorkshire dales.
I'll be posting a writeup with photos....sometime.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:11 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

The Lakes and Dales 2011 journal is finished. Courtesy of Lone Walker, you can view it by clicking

http://www.gregginsonoma.walkingplaces.co.uk/ldwalk.php

As mentioned previously, this is a linkup of three paths, Cumberland Way, Westmorland Way and the Dales High Way which I walked in April/May of this year. Hope you enjoy it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:48 pm 
Almost God-like Member
Almost God-like Member

What a great walk Gregg, and as you say very interesting linking up those paths. I see you had to put up with our lousy weather in May :wink:

I may well copy this one in years to come.

Thanks

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]