Change font size
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:38 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Annandale Way - Gem in Southern Scotland
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:27 pm 

Just finished this today and will be writing the blog fairly soon but....

Starts in Moffat and is a Source to Sea route following (in the loosest sense) the river Annan. Starts with a circumnavigation of the Devils Beeftub and finishes just past Annan on the Solway Firth, coming in at around 55 miles making it a nice 4 or 5 day trail.

Can't sing the praises of this highly enough. The route has been well thought out, easy access to campsites along the way and the locals are all for it. My only gripe being some very inventive waymarking and a touch too much road walking for my liking (this seems to be a feature of Scottish Trails).

Sections of it reminded me of the Dales Way, North Downs Way, even the Saxon Shore Way right at the end with a sprinkling of river walking added into the mix. Moorland, Forestry and some very Pastorale scenery are all there in abundance. I would even go as far as saying this is one of the best Long Distance Paths I have walked.

Quite possibly a good introduction to trail walking , though there are a few strenuous sections and there is a choice of routes at one point - via Lockerbie which is a lower level walk and via Lochmaben which has a more upland feel to it (we walked via Lochmaben)

All I'll say is do it - you wont regret it - honest guv! :D

Post subject: Re: Annandale Way - Gem in Southern Scotland
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Been following the blog reports on this one - does indeed look quite enjoyable.
What are the support logistics like? - for example parking in Moffat and then getting a bus train back to the car from Annan?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:58 pm 

Logistics are pretty good. There is plenty of parking in Moffat but I can't remember if it was pay & display or not...I don't think it was but don't quote me :lol:

When you get to Annan there are two choices - the one we took since we were going back to Glasgow was to get the train to Dumfries (one stop with an hourly service) then the Stagecoach Glasgow Coach X74 which stops in Moffat Town Centre. The train was about £4, I'm not sure about the coach but it was £7.80 all the way to Glasgow.

There are local buses from Annan but most only go to Beattock which would mean a walk (it's about 2.5 - 3 miles from Moffat - if that) or change of bus.

I'd say your best bet would be train and x74. Just makes things easier.

The buses in Dumfries go from a stand next to the river so they are quite easy to find.

To walk from Annan just do it in reverse - X74 to Dumfries then train to Annan.

I'm still undecided on which way would be better - the Beef Tub would certainly make a super finish (and not a bad wild camp if you were so inclinded!) :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:16 pm 

Great blog Ron, hope you don't mind i've put a link on my blog.
It looks a great walk that, may try this next year.
Rich

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]