Change font size
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:20 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Angles Way
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:07 pm 

Living right on the Angles Way route and not doing it must be classed as a sin..... so off we jolly well go. We started at Knettishall Heath and covered the first 13 miles on Monday, and aim to walk part of it every week until we reach great old Great Yarmouth.

It's a fairly short walk about 78 miles on very flat land which is marshy in places. Husband or some other kind soul will be dropping us off and (hopefully) picking us up each time we walk.

The first bit was past Riddlesworth Hall School, where the late Diana Princess of Wales attended, along the Little Ouse River and the source of the River Waveney, through Redgrave and Lopham Fens and walking just above the Bressingham Steam museum before finally ending in Diss. It was just perfect, even though we did get some of that wet stuff from above. We petted the Fen ponies, watched dragon flies and an abundance of birds both wetland and tree dwellers. What a wonderful walk and what a stupid person I am for not doing it sooner.

I shall post bits of the walk on here as we do them and hopefully inspire others to get their boots on to do this walk. It may be flat, but there is so much to see, the real challenge is not getting up to your ears in water, rather than seeing if you can climb a mountain!!!

Post subject: Re: Angles Way
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

reminds me of Bryson's Walk in the Woods - he lived right on the doorstep of the Appalachian Trail and decided to walk it one day - slight scale difference obviously - 2500 miles compared to 78 :)

It's a very funny read, especially for walkers of long paths who will relate to his stories.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:57 pm 

Day two of the Angles way Diss to Harleston 13 miles. Monday was a cloudy but dry day, just right for walking. Three of us set off at a good pace, through the town centre and out towards Frenze Hall. Then off across fields and down the old Scole to Diss rail line heading in the general direction of the A140, over more fields and soon we were on the track for Billingsford, turning right brought us to the A143.

Dodging cars we found the path to the River Waveney and followed it for some while before heading away from the river and walking along a beautiful path in dry water meadows. We saw lots of wildlife, deer, rabbits, fox etc. The birdlife included a kingfisher darting along the river bank.

Through the village of Brockford and skirting Weybread, we found ourselves on the path leading to the Market Place in Harleston. Our pickup driver was waiting with the promise of ice cream if we arrived on time... we did.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:00 pm 

Lone Walker wrote:
reminds me of Bryson's Walk in the Woods - he lived right on the doorstep of the Appalachian Trail and decided to walk it one day - slight scale difference obviously - 2500 miles compared to 78 :)

It's a very funny read, especially for walkers of long paths who will relate to his stories.

Thanks Stuart, I shall endeavour to find a write up about it. We have so far done two days of our walk and are now having to fit it in with everyone's holidays, this 78 miles could take a year to finish at this rate!

I really must get my act together and write up the WHW that we did in May.... What am I like?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]