Change font size
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:04 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Dales Way
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:23 am 

I'm walking the Dales Way next month and I read some time ago in a journal (can't remember which one) to bypass a boggy wood by turning uphill at a barn. Does this ring a bell with anyone. I would like to miss the bog if I can.

Post subject: Re: Dales Way
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:46 pm 

My guess is that it is the route beyond Cam Houses that you're thinking of. If the access road is used from the farm to the Cam High Road a patch of rough and wet ground can be avoided. If memory serves me rightly, however, the walk to Cam Houses from Oughtershaw will have already got one so thoroughly wet and muddy that the diversion serves little purpose.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:28 pm 

Thanks. Your suggestion led me to a journal with comments around Cam Houses. These comments are: After the houses the route heads through a section of forest; this forest is being used as a gamebird breeding and feeding ground and in order to deter walkers the ground has been left churned up, wet and muddy with most signs removed. Eventually you leave the small enclosed forest and briefly join the Pennine Way." I seem to recall that the original journal that I read talked about by-passing the forest section. Do you know whether this is possible?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:16 pm 

There is a note about work undertaken to improve the route after Cam Houses on the Dales Way Association website (http://www.dalesway.org.uk/route_updates.cfm). My guess is that the comments you've read pre-date those improvements. Certainly on my last visit, in late June 2008, there were no particular problems: the ground was rough and wet, but no more so than the preceding two or three miles.
However, from Cam Houses an alternative is available to avoid the forest section. Use the farm access road up to the junction with the Cam High Road. A left turn at the junction of tracks leads, after a mile or so, back to the official route.
Incidentally, the Dales Way Association website is a terrific resource for planning the route, particularly for accommodation and route updates.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:07 am 
Illustrious Member
Illustrious Member

I walked the Dales Way last year, and I agree with all of sjwato's remarks.
The Way through the small woodland section west of Cam Houses is no problem, and if conditions are wet underfoot you'll probably find worse just west of Swarthghyll.
And all of that could be avoided only by staying on the highway at Oughtershaw to the top of the hill and turning left on the vehicle access road toward Cam Houses which leads to the Pennine Way and Dales Way. I repeat: it could be avoided, but it isn't worth doing!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:05 am 

Thanks both. I've checked the Dales Way Assoc website and their route updates, and things seem fine. Did either of you buy a guide book. I sent for the Cicerone book by Terry Marsh, but the little strip maps don't seem to reference much of what he discusses in the text. The Dales Way Assoc website route updates show the changes on "hand -drawn" route pages (similar to Wainwrights C2C guide book). Do either of you know if these are from the Dales Way Handbook, or possibly from the Dales Way route guide by Arthur Gemmill and Colin Speakman?
I also sent for the Harvey strip map, which looks good.
I may have talked to you last year Stottie on the C2C chat page, your name is familiar. I've walked that twice now, but thought I'd like a change this year. I'll be back on the C2C next year, some friends have wanted to do the walk since I first did it in 2007, so I'm bringing them over next September.
Thanks again both, and good luck with your walks this year.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:48 am 
Illustrious Member
Illustrious Member

The Dales Way website publicises some rather ancient route amendments, many of which are now well established and clearly signposted.

You'll be fine using the Harvey strip map.
When I walked the Dales Way last year, I was collecting info for the Rucksack Reader www.rucsacs.com guide book, which recommends the Harvey Map to supplement the written description of the route. I'm first and foremost a map person, and though I like reading a guidebook when planning a walk I don't often carry it - keep the packweight down!

Have a good hike!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]