Change font size
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:14 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: West Highland Way - Camping Byelaws
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:52 pm 

Just a note for those planning on walking the WHW using tents.

As of March 1st, camping is prohibited along the Loch Lomond section of the walk, essentially starting from Drymen to past Inversnaid. (edit - looking at the NP website the restrictions end beyond Rowardennan and don't reach as far as Inversnaid. It's not clear exactly where the restriction ends, but it will probably be signed on the ground.)

There is however a new campsite at Sallochy Bay run by the Forestry Commission with basic facilities, but pitches are limited and you do have to pay £5pp.

There is a campsite on the shore at Cashel, but the Camping and Caravanning Club site looks to have shut (or certainly looked pretty abandoned when I walked past it today!)

The free campsite for the WHW at Rowardennan is unfortunately no longer operational, except out with the scope of the Byelaws (1 March - 31 Oct).

It is a real pity that these by-laws have had an impact on Way Walkers, but unfortunately they have been needed there for some time with large numbers of neanderthals treating the place as a dustbin while on a jolly from Glasgow.

Post subject: Re: West Highland Way - Camping Byelaws
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great information - thanks ron.

I remember being appalled at the litter and camp detritus beside Loch Lomond when I walked the path in 2008.
Let's hope the ban isn't like the dreadful handgun law from a few years back, which severely restricted lawful citizens but did nothing to curb the activities of the people who were acting unlawfully in the first place.

Would be interesting to see how much cleaner and pleasant the loch shore is now compared to 4 years ago.

Cheers
LW

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]