Change font size
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:01 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Dales Way plus mountains 2012
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:10 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I'm walking the Dales Way plus mountains west of the DW and Lakeland mountains. I previously walked the DW in 2005.
Here is my itinerary:

April 19 Arrive Leeds by train, walk to Menston
April 20 Menston to Embsay 15 miles
April 21 Embsay to Kettlewell 18 miles
April 22 Kettlewell to Horton via Pen-y-ghent 15 miles
April 23 Horton to Dent via Ingleborough 18 miles
April 24 Dent to Patton Bridge 16 miles
April 25 Patton Bridge to Windermere YHA 15 miles
April 26 Windermere to Patterdale via Yoke 16 miles
April 27 Patterdale to Elterwater 15 miles
April 28 Walk a Langdale mountain loop
April 29 Elterwater to Wasdale Head via Bowfell/Scafell Pike 13 miles
April 30 Wasdale Head to Rosthwaite via Great Gable 12 miles
May 1 Rosthwaite to Windermere YHA via Wansfell 15 miles
May 2 Windermere to Edale by train

My previous Pennine Way walk in 2006 began at Hebden Bridge, so I will fill the 3 day gap between Edale and HB, then train to Leeds and London, then home to San Francisco.

Post subject: Re: Dales Way plus mountains 2012
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:26 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I’m back from the walk, trying to adjust to sunny weather in California. A discussion of my walk could be about how inclement weather dissuaded me from several high elevation climbs and routed me along lower paths but, on reflection, my experience was so much about the magnificent English pubs that gave me comfort and sustenance each night. Here they are.

Chevin Pub in Menston, superb 2-course special dinner and a Wharfedale Slinger Ale.

Elm Tree Inn in Embsay, table of birthday ladies ladies celebrating with a bowl of chips each and a cigarette lighter posing as a birthday candle. Oh, the Bombadier ale was great.

King’s Head Pub in Kettlewell, eating in front of an open fire drying my jacket, drinking Black Sheep Bitters with friendly patrons.

Golden Lion in Horton, excellent chicken tikka masala and drinking T. T. Landlord’s with several groups of Pennine Way walkers.

Sun Inn, Dent, fabulous steak dinner with five motorcyclists and a three generation family on a week’s walk.

Windermere hostel, good 3-course dinner in friendliest hostel ever.

Morning tea in three hundred year old Queen’s Head pub, Troutbeck, in front of a roaring fire.

Half pint of stout for lunch at Kirkstone Pass Inn (also 300 yrs old?), possibly my favorite pub, in front of another roaring fire as my clothes attempted to dry.

In Patterdale, of course, the White Lion Inn, my fifth time there, one of my favorite pubs for the atmosphere.

High Close Hostel in Elterwater had it’s usual large walking group ensconced for several days. I stayed two nights to climb the Great Langdales, Pavey Ark, Harrison Stickle and Pike of Stickle.. Great weather for a change.

Wasdale Head Inn had artifacts of the great mountain climbers of years past. I drank pints with four Bob Graham Round walkers that I first met while climbing up Rossett Pass and snacking at Angle Tarn. As I did, they bypassed Scafell Pike because of fierce winds, rain and sleet.

The Scafell Bar in Rosthwaite had a great ale selection and was full of C to C walkers.

Another night at the friendly Windermere hostel before going to Edale for a taste of Nag's Bitters at the Nags Head pub and a walk across Kinder Scout and boggy Bleaklow with my friend Pete.

My final night in England was in Leeds. Whitlocks pub was packed as usual and I found a some interesting locals to talk with. My last beer in England - Theakston’s Old Peculiar. On Briggate is a good Italian restaurant - I had not Italian food but mussels from Scotland. I wonder if LW found any on his recent walk on Skye.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]