Change font size
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:22 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Dales Way 2013
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm 

I walked the Dales Way last September and ran into some seriously bad weather. I've decided to give it another try next June with a slightly different route. Last year I walked from Low Raisgill to Dent on the recognised path. Next year I would like to take a look at the Ribblehead Viaduct and make my way to Dent via the Craven Way. Does anyone know whether there is a defined path over/around Whernside, or whether some guide information is available.

Post subject: Re: Dales Way 2013
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:35 pm 

The Craven Way path is easy to follow on a well-defined track. It's also a jolly good route, IMHO better than the "official" way. For the energetic Whernside is easily attainable from the track, rejoining the Craven Way by way of Whernside Tarns.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:18 pm 

Thanks. That's put my mind at ease.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:23 am 

I start walking on June 1st and wondered if anybody else plans to be on the Dales Way then.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:27 am 

I live in Canada and return to England each year for a hiking holiday. This year it was the Dales Way.
I walked the Dales Way earlier this month, starting on the 1st and finishing on the 6th. After travelling up from Heathrow, and due to accommodation preferences, I actually walked from Ilkley to Addingham on May 30th. I walked from Addingham to Grassington on June 1st and from there it was to Yockenthwaite, Tommy Bridge, Bramaskew (B&B past Sebergh), Kendal then Bowness. The detour to see the Ribblehead viaduct, together with the walk along the Craven Way, was well worth the extra effort.
The weather was excellent, it couldn't have been better. No rain, no wind, plenty of sun and warm temperatures. The only near-incident was stepping on the one wobbly stone of the stepping stones across the River Wharfe at Bolton Abbey.
I'm not sure just yet, but I think the Coast to Coast Walk may be calling me back next year.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]