Change font size
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:12 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: south downs way vs the Cotswolds walk
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:19 am 

Hi from Canada...My wife and I are interested in doing the Souh Downs Way and was wondering how it would compare to the Cotswold walk. Which is the more demanding hike elevation gain wise...We did the c2c back in 2009 and found the section from Lordstones Cafe to Claybank Top quite demanding with hill after hill, a real roller coaster..So of the two hikes mentioned above which do you think would be the less taxxing?? Thanks in advance...We would be doing the walk in early Sept 2013.
Thanks again

Post subject: Re: south downs way vs the Cotswolds walk
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:27 am 

A quick, interim, response. Just back from some walking on the South Downs Way and as I recollect of the Cotswold Way, the CW has relatively more "ups and downs." Nothing insurmountable by C2C standards but nevertheless more at times. Another option to consider might be the Ridgeway -- accessible, some credible challenge, very interesting. Do let me know if you want more info. Tim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:32 pm 

Tim.
Thanks so much for your reply, we appreciate your thoughts..The Ridgeway trail looks very interesting..I think though that we will be doing the Cotswolds as we are traveling with another couple and they are set on that walk.
The C2C was a nice walk but it did have a lot of easy days in the middle..The Lake district usually started every day with a long climb up and then back down at days end..The Moors though were tough ..I just hope the this climb isn't that hard every day.Thanks again.
Larry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:20 am 

Larry,

I think you've made a good choice with the Cotswold Way. It is not the C2C and very much its own walk. No worries I would say. On the C2C, given your comments, I would think this is why, in part, some choose to walk from east to west (including Stuart who covenes Walking Places Forum) -- i.e., it is very front-end loaded if you start on the west coast (and take advantage of prevailing winds at your back).

You've got a great walk ahead. Let us know how it goes. Tim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I enjoyed most of the Cotswold Way, but found that it meandered all over the place in an effort to stick to the limestone ridge. An almost slavish adherence to this ridge lead to some comical days. 12-14 miles walking for 8-10 miles crow-flight distance.

Not a problem as such, we all walk to walk, not to travel as such, but when you walk 3 miles around a loop of headland to arrive back 250 yards from where you were 90 minutes earlier it does get a bit silly.

Don't expect C2C type views, you will get expansive views from the edge, but they are all downwards, into the valley and onto towns rather than of a sweep of majestic tops around you.

I did photo summary of my walk (done over 18 months) here:
http://goo.gl/zxY6t

Cheers
LW

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:06 pm 

Thanks LW,
I have looked at most of your travel jourmals/pics and have enjoyed them immensley..and I have already seen this one ..
Thanks so much for your input...I am still a bit concerned about the daily up and downs..I am not a great fit fellow..ha ha...I can walk on the flat till the cows come home but on the daily up and downs I struggle with copd..
Thanks again. Rastas

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]