Change font size
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Cleveland Way and livestock
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:16 pm 

First time on this forum, wonder if anyone can help. I want to do the Cleveland Way in Spring/early Summer on my own and I know the walking will be fine. However I'm terrified of crossing fields with livestock. Does anyone know if I have to do this or are there no fields to cross?

Post subject: Re: Cleveland Way and livestock
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:09 am 

Bovine Bovver :shock:
Hi Heather, I quite understand, cattle can at times be very intimidating, but on a path like the Cleveland Way they will be very used to human traffic and won’t even bat an eyelid. On little used paths they can on occasions get a little troublesome. A few years ago Tony Hobbs wrote in one of his amusing books that if you walk towards an advancing herd and shout Hut Hut Hut very loudly it will bring them to an abrupt halt. I have tried this on four occasions now and having wiped a sweaty brow I have been able to continue unmolested. Avoid walking between calf and mother at all times, keep eye contact to a minimum and try not to run; it’s like a red rag to a ----- sorry. If against all advise you find yourself running, do it in a downhill direction; they are much slower, something to do with their muscle structure. There are many of us that feel the heart rate rise while in a field of cattle so you are not alone, but you will be just fine.
Have a great walk and let us know how you got on.

Post subject: Re: It's a mega terror!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:25 am 

Hi pathcruncher,
Thanks for replying; it's more than just normal fear; and I'm equally terrified of passing unleashed dogs as well.....
I presume I'm safe once I'm on the coast path, so I really want to know how many times I'm going to have to cross fields with possible livestock, which ones they are (location) so I can be there early and wait for someone else to come along. I've walked on the NY moors quite a few times so am not worried about those parts. Thank you for all the tips but I think they'll sense my thumping heart and go for me!
Heather

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:53 pm 
Almost God-like Member
Almost God-like Member

Hi Heather. I'm also walking the Cleveland Way this Spring. Don't think you have a problem with cows. One idea is take a trekking pole, these are ideal for keeping livestock and dogs at bay.

Do have a good walk and maybe bump into each other on the walk. :o

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:55 pm 

I think your suggestion of waiting for others at certain spots may be the best option. A number of walkers should be around at that time of the year. I’ve only walked the C 2 C which joins the Cleveland from time to time so I will leave it to others to give you more information.
Happy walking

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:51 pm 

Shortly after leaving Osmotherley past Chapel Wood Farm and up through some very muddy fields with some cows in that didn't give me any trouble. There is an alternative route if you continue up the road from Osmotherley there is a track branching off northwards towards Arncliffe Wood.

I don't recall any other issues and I am sure that I would have done! I shout at them and try to think that they are only being friendly but as stated above don't get between a mother and any calf.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]