Change font size
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:18 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: I'm walking the Southern Upland Way
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Today I started the Southern Upland Way, Scotland's official Coast to Coast footpath. I'll be walking for 14 days and you can follow my adventures using the link for my Diary below.

Post subject: Re: I'm walking the Southern Upland Way
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:45 pm 

A belated good luck! Hope the weather holds up for the next two weeks!

Will definitely be doing this myself in the future so will follow the blog with interest :D

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately I had to cut this walk short due to a problem with the little toe on my right foot. I resulted in every steep being incredibly painful and with the prospect of a 22 mile day ahead, into Tibbie Shiels and the possibility of a lift available to home, I took the easy way out.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:50 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Lone Walker wrote:
Unfortunately I had to cut this walk short due to a problem with the little toe on my right foot. I resulted in every steep being incredibly painful and with the prospect of a 22 mile day ahead, into Tibbie Shiels and the possibility of a lift available to home, I took the easy way out.

you will come back for it Stuart :)

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:54 pm 

Bad luck, there is nothing worse having done all the planning and then anticipating the walk ahead. I planned LEJOG for months but had to give up after a few days when I had a problem with my hip that I had never had before and touch wood have never had again. :(

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:54 am 
Illustrious Member
Illustrious Member

That's rotten luck, Stuart.
You're not alone in having to abandon the SUW. Another walker gave up on it last year during the March "heatwave" because he hadn't any sunscreen - not a problem you had this year, from what your blogs say!

Ten years ago I walked from Edale to Dufton and had to give in just before Great Dun Fell when plantarfasciitis got the better of me. It was a bad feeling, and I don't mean only the painful foot. Live to fight another day, mate, but get it sorted quickly or it will be winter again!!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was really worried about the toe. I'd kicked a bed leg and taken the skin off the end of the toe and was worried it had become infected. It was red, throbbing constantly and incredibly painful to the touch.

Within 48 hours of being out of wet boots and wet socks it was feeling much better. In fact I'm hoping to be out again at the weekend.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:57 pm 
Illustrious Member
Illustrious Member

Sounds like you're on the mend.

I was in and out of water on just about each of the 16 days on the PW last month, and my feet never got wet - it was too cool for much sweating, and my Altberg Tethera boots proved completely right for the task of keeping me comfortable and dry despite never being waxed after I'd started. I first used them 2 years ago on the SUW, which was dry apart from the Sanquahar-Stranraer section, and I wear them throughout the year.

I realise that's no comfort for you just now, Stuart, but the combination of those boots and my Berghaus overtrousers worked like a dream. Well worth considering for serious walks in (wet) British conditions. Without doubt the boots are the best I've had in more than 50 years of buying serious hiking boots. There's only one seam, and that's around the heel area. There are no points of weakness around the tongue, because the whole upper is a single piece of leather (apart from that heel area). There's no risk of water ingress except where the eyes and hooks for the laces penetrate the leather. I'll be getting another pair if my legs keep going! Meanwhile, I've worn out the soles and heels so I've had them repaired at Feet First here in Chesterfield for £62.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]